Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

10 Things This Mommy Needs - Part One

As I'm being pulled in at least 7 different directions, sometimes I wonder how important everything is.  To be able to do everything that I'm expected to and want to do I need to be able to stay on top of what is going on and prioritize.  Sometimes it's hard to really accomplish whatever I need to do when I allow my own needs to take a back burner.  So I thought I'd begin to share a list of my own needs and solutions to trying to meet those needs.  I realize that someone else's needs may be completely different than mine and that is the joy of each person's life and how God has created us.

 I haven't listed my needs in any particular order, so here are the first three needs of this mommy.

1.  A consistent time to read my Bible and pray to start my day off right.  I know when I am consistently in God's Word I feel more complete throughout my day.  It's hard to fit my quiet time in when I have to start my day off running.  Since this is the way it seems to be lately, I've been reading a passage of scripture to the kids and a story to go along with it in the morning.  This doesn't really fill this need, but I feel that it is a step closer when I'm reading my Bible and praying, even with the kids.  It seems with various seasons in life that I find a consistent routine and then it changes.  Some days I try really hard to get my quiet time in, while the kids are going about doing their morning activities.  Sometimes, when I find a verse that I find encouraging or that I need to work on something I write the verse on my white board in the kitchen.  Then I can meditate on it often, sometimes for several days.

2.  Lunch everyday.  I mean a whole meal, not just a bite of something before running on to the next thing I need to do.  I do eat throughout the day, but lunch can be hard because the kids want to eat, then Clark wants to eat, then somebody needs me for something, then Felicity wants to get down, then its time for me to read to the kids, etc.  Then I am starving and don't know why I'm so hungry until I go to make supper and realize that I never really ate much for lunch.  Some days it works great, like when we are all having the same leftovers I only have to fix one thing.  Most days I fix sandwiches for the kids, but I'm not all that interested in eating PB & J most days for lunch.  I like my peanut butter at breakfast.

3.  Sleep.  I find I can function better if I am rested.  It's hard to get enough when you go to bed late and get up a couple of times to feed a baby.  Then everyone expects you to jump out of bed raring to go first thing in the morning.  I've been trying to go to bed earlier, but somehow Clark has noticed and doesn't want to let me do that.  Naps are a thing of the past.  If I wanted one, I either wouldn't be able to fall asleep or someone would wake me up.  Besides, after I take a nap I feel worse than before.  I have found that when I am on a decent sleep schedule it is much easier to get up early enough in the morning to consistently read my Bible before my day starts to fly.

Join me next week for Part 2.

3 comments:

  1. Suanna,
    Hey here's a tip for your "sleep" need, even though it's really just rest. Sometimes when I feel the most harried, I take "rest time". Usually I lay on the floor and put my feet up on a chair or stool, with my knees and hips at 90 degree angles. This not only helps my back, but also my feet. Since I plan on and only lay down for 10-20 minutes, I know I'm not going to sleep, so I don't try. During this time, the dogs can come lay next to me, but there's no playing, and this is Mum's time so they don't get focused attention from me. I know it's probably silly, since dogs and kids are just slightly different priorities, haha. But it's rejuvenating to let my mind think on whatever I choose to for that bit of time (usually thinking about homework is off limits and so is housework/to-do lists), while allowing my body to relax. If I'm tired and fear I may fall asleep, I'll set an alarm or alert on my phone and keep it right next to me. Of course, with the kids, sleeping too long, if it happens at all, may not be a worry.
    Love you!
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, Rebekah. I'll have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each additional child surely adds to the busy-ness of the day. I never get enough sleep, but I have a set time that I get up each morning, rested or not. Sticking to that wake schedule really has helped my body get into a groove and while I still lack the energy I crave, I can manage. My twins are 7 months and have been sleeping through the night since they were about ten weeks, so I don't really know what my sleepy excuse is! I suppose I stay up too late trying to get done what I can't get to during the day! Looking forward to Part 2!

    Thank you so much for taking the time to link up! I'm so glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from my readers and reading your comments.