Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Taco Soup Recipe

This soup has been a hit with my family every time I make it.  Yes, there are some people who will leave certain ingredients untouched in their bowls, but I usually hear no complaints about it.  Last time I made it I jotted what I do down and thought I would put it on my blog.

Taco Soup


Taco Soup

28 oz diced or crushed tomatos
1 can tomato sauce (I often use 1 pint of homemade)
1 can corn, rinsed
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 cans pinto beans, rinsed
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
~ 1/2 onion, chopped
1 1/2 - 2 pounds gr. beef, browned
1 1/2 Tblsp. chili powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. real salt
2 tsp. cummin
1 Tblsp. dill
1 Tblsp. buttermilk powder
 (Optional:  I often add other veggies like peppers, carrots, zucchini, or peas to fill up the space as we don't care for a lot of broth.)

Mix all ingredients in a large crockpot in the morning and add enough water to make sure everything is just covered.  Cook on low all day (7-12 hours).  You can throw it all together just before dinner and heat it on the stove top, too, but the flavors work through everything when it gets to cook all day.

Serve with: Fritos or corn chips, sour cream, cheese, guacamole and cilantro.  Not everyone likes all those toppings, but I do.  Everyone gets to choose the topping they get on their soup.  Some of my kids would rather eat the chips plain, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from my readers and reading your comments.